Monday, June 05, 2006

Long, long weekend...

I spent the entire weekend in Bloomington and Indianapolis covering high school track and tennis state championships. It was a lot of work, but I made some pictures I like. I decided to shoot a set of strobes at the finish line because it had a very strong back light (thanks to del sol). I got some strange looks from people. But, I showed them the results and I bet I'll see more photographers trying it next year. I am really getting into putting together a small, lightweight lighting kit that will light most anything I would need for any assignment. In my quest for more information on this type of lighting I came across a wonderful new blog named "Strobist" that gives detailed information that is exactly in line with what I am trying to do.

After last weekend covering the Indy 500 and working 40 hours in three days this weekend, I am ready for a break. I don't have long though. I will be covering the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Indy in a couple of weeks. Some great photographers will be there and I am looking forward to observing some of their techniques.

Check out my Sports Shooter member page for some other sports photos including a gallery from the Indianapolis Colts' playoff loss the World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers. I just learned last night that I was accepted to participate in the third Sports Shooter Academy in Orange County, California in November. The Academy is a 5-day sports photography workshop where I will be learning to improve my sports photography and location lighting techniques from top pros. I am excited to say the least. This is a big opportunity.

Thanks for looking.

No comments: