Monday, June 21, 2021

Something Different



Well, prime rib isn't really different, but its definitely not something I've blogged about in the past. I do a fair amount of cooking. Some say I do it well. Still others suggest I should start a catering business. I don't know about that, but I do enjoy cooking things over fire. This time, it was a whole prime rib. 

An old friend had seen photos of my grilling and smoking exploits on Facebook and asked if I would cook a prime rib for his son's high school graduation party. All I need is a reason to fire up some charcoal. 

For this cook, I initially seasoned with Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper then slathered herb-infused butter that included garlic, rosemary and thyme over the entire 15-pound hunk of beef. I needed to keep the temperature down around 250 degrees, so I used half a chimney of charcoal. I split that up on either side of the Weber 26-inch kettle and kept a cool zone in the middle where the roast would sit. The low and slow part of this cook took a shade over three hours. After 30 minutes searing, we were up to 130 degrees. I basted it with the drippings then covered with foil and delivered to the party. During transport, the roast came up to the magic 135 degrees. Crisp bark on the outside. Perfectly pink on the inside. I should've made pictures of the finished product. The line was already 30 people deep by the time they started slicing, and I didn't want to hold up the process. 

No comments: