Friday, June 26, 2009

Softball POY



Homestead pitcher Jacqui Matheis led the Spartans to a 29-1 record, undefeated regular season, a Class 4A No. 1 ranking and national rankings this season. She was among the state's leaders in earned run average, strikeouts and victories and for her accomplishments Matheis has been named The News-Sentinel's 2008-2009 Prep Sports Softball Player of the Year.
Photo by Chad Ryan.


Though I was not initially thrilled when I learned that I would have to add writing duties to my workload a couple of years back, I've become accustomed to it. Given a choice, I'd certainly prefer to go back to telling stories visually. Unfortunately, in these times that's not an option. But what I do appreciate about my current lot is the fact that when I write a story and shoot the photo I have almost complete control over the entire package. I make the decisions on everything except the design - that's another story for another day.

This week I wrote about Jacqui Matheis, a pitcher from Homestead High School's softball team that went undefeated during the regular season and gained national rankings. Matheis was named The News-Sentinel's Prep Sports Softball Player of the Year.

I photographed her in a couple of portrait settings and a couple of action sequences and made a few pictures that I liked. Jacqui was great to work with. She and catcher Nikki Wilson, who could have easily been named the POY herself, geared up in 90-plus heat and blistering sunshine to get in some practice and for the photo shoot. They even shook off my blunder that forced me to make a run to pick up a piece of gear and the cold bottles of Gatorade that I left at home (luckily just 3 miles away.)

In any case, I made a picture I can live with, I wrote a story I wasn't disappointed with and tonight I'll be shooting minor league baseball at Parkview Field. Things are lookin' pretty good from where I'm standing.

So, if you have a minute and the inclination, check out my story about Jacqui Matheis in the Prep Sports section of News-Sentinel.com.

No comments: