Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Random items

So, I'm sitting in the press box at Memorial Coliseum waiting for the Komets and Port Huron Flags to gracefully skate around each other in an attempt to avioid contact at all costs. Well, I hope that isn't the way the game plays out, but as we all know and are frequently reminded, hockey isn't what it used to be. Some of my earliest memories of hockey include some hard-hitting games with Steve Salvucci and later with Jim Burton, Steve fletcher, and a host of others. It seemed there was a couple of bench-clearing brawls each year with the despised Toledo Blades and after that with the Indianapolis Ice. So everyone says hockey is different now. Maybe so, but a guy whose favorite football team just won the Super Bowl can still dream, can't he?

Yes, it's true. I am a Steelers fan. I know what you are thinking; the articles on this blog never brought that fact to light. Though I did write several stories about the black and gold on this blog, I also remained fair giving equal game coverage to the Steelers' playoff victims. The stories just happened to come about during the Steelers' playoff run in which they won 8 must-win games. I have to say, though, I did have a tiny space in my heart for the Colts this year. I would like to see Peyton Manning get the big-game loser tag off his back. That, and my mom loves the Colts. I still haven't heard the end of the arguments about the '95 AFC Championship when Jim Harbaugh nearly threw the game-winning pass at the end of the game. The dispute continues about whether or not Kordell Stewart was out of bounds. No one needs to guess where I stand on that one.

The Seyferts zamboni is circling the Coliseum ice, and fans are trickling in. There are a lot of empty seats tonight with just six minutes until the puck is dropped. As the pre-game clock winds down, I realize I should get down to ice level. Look for photos after the game.

Chad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh at the last home game for the Komets against Elmira. The stats were announced after the first period and it was claimed the Komets had thirteen (13) body checks in the first period. I don't think they had 13 HITS in the entire game. Anymore, any time two guys make incidental contact they count a hit. WRONG. I think tghat Friday, I will count the hits on my own and post them on the blogs. Oughta be good for a few laughs.

Chad Ryan said...

It's funny you mention that. I was at that game with my family and when I heard that stat, I had a little chuckle. Then I propped my foot up on one of the 15 empty seats in front of me as they announced that the game was a sell-out. In fairness to the attendance figures, I'm sure the stats are based on season ticket sales plus the total gate. As far as the hit totals go, there really should be an opposing player involved if a hit against the boards counts.