Tuesday, April 04, 2006

My glass is definitely half-full


I pulled into my garage around midnight tonight after driving for the last 12-plus hours to get home from a photojournalism conference in South Carolina. It normally wouldn't have taken quite so long, but Cheryl and I decided to drive through the Smokie Mountain National Park on the way home because we love the scenery. New colors were starting to emerge and the weather was quite nice today. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of traffic that would be in the Gatlinburgh, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville area as I thought, surely, traffic would be light on a Monday. I won't make that mistake a third time.


The National Press Photographers Association held the Southern Short Course in news photography over the weekend in Spartanburg, SC. It was a weekend filled with guest speakers, breakout instruction sessions and meeting new people. I had a great time and saw some wonderful, inspiring work by some of the best photojournalists in the world. I also received some great feedback on my portfolio. I was lucky enough to win a Nikon Coolpix S4 digital camera after winning first place in the Nikon Shootout. The Shootout is a contest where Nikon Reps hand out 25 digital point-and-shoot cameras. The photographers are given 45 minutes to go shoot an assignment based on a theme. At the end of the 45 minutes, the cameras were to be returned with only one photograph on the memory card. The theme of the assignment was "Spring Forward." My winning picture is shown here

Events like this one and the SportsShooter.com Luau/upcoming shindig not only teach and refine techniques, but they are great for recharging the batteries in terms of creativity and devotion to the craft. I have some ideas for new work that I am excited about and look forward to get started. I also plan to start working on my new website very soon. When I get the new site registered, I will post a link to it.

As always, thanks for checking out my work and reading my rants.

Chad

No comments: