Monday, July 28, 2008

Worst ... race ... ever.

Maybe it wasn't as bad as my headline would suggest, but as far as big time races go, Sunday's Allstate 400 at the Brickyard had to be high on the list. Due to the tire issues I wrote about for The News Sentinel for Sunday Online NASCAR mandated competition yellows every 11 laps during the 160 lap race at Indy. As you might surmise, it was a long day. The fact that fans booed everytime the yellow flag waved proved even the die hards were less than enthused.

It made my job a little easier, if that can be said about anything at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I had time to move around more, change equipment a couple of times and actually make a restroom break. The sound of SpongeBob Squarepants saying "Aaaamazinggg" comes to mind. Sorry, I have little ones, and we have shows we watch.

Anyway, I didn't make all the pictures I wanted. I just don't have the access I need at that track, but after talking to one of the gentlemen who works at IMS Photo, I've got a better idea how to change that for next year. The funny thing is when I go to Chicago or Michigan, those folks do everything in their power to get me what I need. I don't get everything. There is a pecking order, and the Sentinel isn't at the top of it, but they give me enough access to get what I need.









Wait, if future Brickyard races are going to be like Sunday's, I may not want more access. Check out Up To Speed for more of my commentary on the Debacle at the Brickyard.

Keep in mind that these are my opinions and are not those of the newspaper that employs me.

3 comments:

Janie said...

First of all, thank you for what you do. Your photos are terrific.

I was at the race on Sunday. Baking in turn 3. If they could have done any actual racing...it might have been, well....a race.

Chad Ryan said...

Janie,

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I had hoped to get out to Turn 3, but never made it. Let's just hope NASCAR figures things out for next year. Are you going to Michigan for the Aug. 17 race?

Janie said...

No, not going to Michigan. My husband will be in New York at a Yankees game that weekend. Tough tradeoff, eh?