Friday, February 15, 2008

Mad Ants' Dunker

I learned just the other day from News-Sentinel sports columnist Reggie Hayes that the Fort Wayne Mad Ants had a player who was going to participate in the slam dunk contest at this weekend's NBA D-League Dream weekend. So, Reggie and I decided to go out and shoot a feature portrait of Eric Smith doing his dunks.

Originally, I had a plan to set four cameras and capture one dunk from all four angles at the same time. Unfortunately, my son was ill, so I had to shelf that plan to stay home with him. To do something like I planned would have taken a pretty good amount of time to set it all up, and it just didn't work out.

When the first plan fell through, I decided to pull off an idea that I had on another shoot, but I wanted to bump it up a notch. I decided that I wanted to shoot the photo of Eric in mid air heading toward the basket. I originally pictured the iconic Michael Jordan dunk from the side with a wide angle lens. Due to the logistics of the building we were shooting in, I decided to go vertical with the photo and come in a little closer.

I figured I would set up several small strobes to make it appear as if the crowd in the background was taking pictures of Eric during his dunk. I later had to move a couple of bursts and add one during the processing of the photo. In any case, this photo illustration is what I came up with. I'm not sure it was the photo Eric had in mind. I think maybe he thought we were going to do more of a close up of his dunk. I shot some of those too, but close up dunk shots are quite common these days. I wanted a different look.

Check out Reggie's interview with Eric on News-Sentinel.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

"All photographs and content within are produced by the author and are strictly copyright protected. No content from this site may be reused or reproduced in any way without author's written permission."