Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Back home again in Indiana

I just got back home from driving to and from North Carolina for an extended weekend photo conference. Although I do enjoy the trip to the Carolinas because the drive is relatively easy and there's plenty to look at, I have to say making the trek with a 10-month old who has teeth coming in can be a little stressful. The little guy just wasn't feeling good, and when he's not feeling good no one is feeling good. It wasn't all bad, though as we managed to sprinkle some fun in between the moodiness.



In any case, it was a great weekend for me. I got some great advice on some directions to consider taking my photography. I asked a couple of individuals to review my portfolio and the sessions were very productive. The people with whom I spoke gave me pointers on strengths and weaknesses with my images. Having that kind off access with these folks can be a great help, and it is the main reason I went to this seminar. Well, that and my wife and I really wanted to get away from the house for a few days. We just needed an excuse to head to the Carolinas again. It was 80+ and sunny when we got there. Remind me again why I live in Indiana.

One piece of good news came my way while travelling home. Tori Bagan, who I named The News-Sentinel Prep Sports Swimmer of the Year, had a big weekend swimming at the Speedo Championships. The Homestead freshman became the first Fort Wayne swimmer since the early 1990's to qualify to compete in the US Olympic Trials early this summer in Omaha, Nebraska. If all goes well, I'll be there covering her experience.

Recently, I've come to be known as the swimming photographer and the swimming guy. It's likely due to the portraits I've made of prep swimmers this year, but that's not a bad thing. The fact is, I enjoy photographing swimming events. More than I ever thought I would. I'm currently looking into other outlets for my swimming photography and have had some hits in the last few weeks. So things are on the move upward. Hopefully soon, you'll see my photos in swimming magazines and other publications.

2-09-2008 - Indianapolis, Ind. - Homestead's Tori Bagan gets a big start on her way to a fifth-place finish in the 100 freestyle event at the Indiana state championships. Bagan also swam to a third place finish in the 100 breaststroke behind two Olympic trials qualifiers and the state record holder in the event.



Right now, however, I'm off to get some sleep.

Thanks again for stopping by.

No comments: