Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Friday Little League game pics

Last Friday, I received a phone call around 3 p.m. from my editor asking me to find a Little League game and shoot enough pictures for a photo page for Saturday's section. The problems were: a. It was a Friday early in the season and few teams play on Friday this early; b. I had to get a remote camera set up for the Komets' playoff game, and it had to be done two hours before game time which in this case meant, I had to be done by 6 p.m. Any baseball game I would find would likely start the same time I had to be in a catwalk 160 feet above the ice at the Memorial Coliseum.

So, I went on my way searching for games. I travelled to four different parks with not a soul meandering at any of them. Time was winding down on me because I knew I had to get to MC. So, I drove by Georgetown Little League, and a team was there practicing hitting. Bingo. Being about three minutes from the MC, I decided to run over there, get my remote installed and make it back in time for the ballgame. I got that done right on time, and made it back with 45 minutes left to shoot.

At this point, I had limited time to shoot enough images of just one game to make a photo page. No problem. At least not when you have great light. The sun was low in the sky and a beautiful golden light pierced through the clouds from time to time. So I kept an eye on the sky and made the most of my opportunities. While it was only one game and I was short on time, I was able to pull off 10 pics for the page, of which the editors used seven. I got done early enough to stop and grab a soda on my way back to Memorial Coliseum. Believe it or not, I wish I could have more days like that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YIKES, your work is amazing. I heard about you around town and jsut stopped to see what the talk was about. OUTSTANDING

Chad Ryan said...

Denise,

Thank you for your comments about my photos. I take my work very seriously, and it's nice to see that others appreciate what I'm trying to do.