Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Friday Little League game pics

Last Friday, I received a phone call around 3 p.m. from my editor asking me to find a Little League game and shoot enough pictures for a photo page for Saturday's section. The problems were: a. It was a Friday early in the season and few teams play on Friday this early; b. I had to get a remote camera set up for the Komets' playoff game, and it had to be done two hours before game time which in this case meant, I had to be done by 6 p.m. Any baseball game I would find would likely start the same time I had to be in a catwalk 160 feet above the ice at the Memorial Coliseum.

So, I went on my way searching for games. I travelled to four different parks with not a soul meandering at any of them. Time was winding down on me because I knew I had to get to MC. So, I drove by Georgetown Little League, and a team was there practicing hitting. Bingo. Being about three minutes from the MC, I decided to run over there, get my remote installed and make it back in time for the ballgame. I got that done right on time, and made it back with 45 minutes left to shoot.

At this point, I had limited time to shoot enough images of just one game to make a photo page. No problem. At least not when you have great light. The sun was low in the sky and a beautiful golden light pierced through the clouds from time to time. So I kept an eye on the sky and made the most of my opportunities. While it was only one game and I was short on time, I was able to pull off 10 pics for the page, of which the editors used seven. I got done early enough to stop and grab a soda on my way back to Memorial Coliseum. Believe it or not, I wish I could have more days like that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous denise said...

YIKES, your work is amazing. I heard about you around town and jsut stopped to see what the talk was about. OUTSTANDING

11:01 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Denise,

Thank you for your comments about my photos. I take my work very seriously, and it's nice to see that others appreciate what I'm trying to do.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

"All photographs and content within are produced by the author and are strictly copyright protected. No content from this site may be reused or reproduced in any way without author's written permission."